disc space low

bobbybluenose 11:54 20 Apr 2008

Morning i have two h/ds local disc(c) free space 5.57GB total size 37.2 and local disc (D) 12.9 free total size 18.6 ,I was moving my docs to disc (D) but i cancelled the move by mistake i have tried to repeat the move to no avail ,procedure my docs on desk top right click, properties, move ,my comp ,disc (D), but apply will not highlight do you think i have caused any damage and if so what the problem with disc space my kids downloading music and films, so i thought i would move my doc to disc(D) to crate more space on disc (C) help please bobby

Acx 14:06 20 Apr 2008

Try it manually
My Computer>Windows C:>Documents and Settings>(your name)>My Documents

Copy and past My Documents over to D:
Then change the target to point to D:My Documents using the procedure you first used.

bobbybluenose 15:27 20 Apr 2008

Acx tried to do manually as you explained but the folder as gone over to D but not the contents when i double click the folder i get a blank box when i double click my docs on desk top everything still there

Acx 16:26 20 Apr 2008

The Documents would be still on your desktop as we used copy. Once they are copied to D: you can delete the ones from C:.

As to why there isn't a copy of them on D: is a bit of a mystery.

Did any error messages come up when you copied?
How long did the process take when you right clicked somewhere in D: and pasted the My Documents file?
Can you create a new file (a new notepad file will do) in the D: My Documents file and if so can that be seen and read?

bobbybluenose 16:32 20 Apr 2008

Acx yes a error message came up saying cant copy nestcar i think should i try again to see the message

bobbybluenose 16:50 20 Apr 2008

trying again all ok at the moment

bobbybluenose 17:13 20 Apr 2008

ok the folder as now transferred over to D: is it safe to delete from my documents on desk top

Acx 18:17 20 Apr 2008

If you are sure it is all on D: you can delete from C: now.
If you have any very important docs on c: you could leave those on c: for a few days (or burn them to disc/use memory stick) just to be sure you are happy with the new set up.

bobbybluenose 18:49 20 Apr 2008

thank you for your help bobby.
just got to find the music and films looked in the obvious places no good as yet

Acx 19:24 20 Apr 2008

More disc space
Control panel add/remove programs (start with unused programs (Games take up a lot).

Start>Search>What Size is it>Specify Size in KB>20000
(you can reduce that figure if you want but it takes ages).
Don't put anything in file names
Change Look In to Windows C
When it has stopped searching Click 'Size' (top of the right hand pane) a couple of times until the larger ones are at the top.

Films will probably show up along with all other large files (be careful what you delete as system folders will show up as well).

bobbybluenose 19:35 20 Apr 2008

thanks is it safe to delete cookies ie text document

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone