disc reading problems

tom1978 22:25 11 May 2007

Hi there,

Im having problems reading blank discs from both my CD-RW drives. Its extremely frustrating because im sure there must be a simple solution.

Im running xp and think I have done something that has disabled the recording and burning capabilities of my drives, although they read music and DVDs fine.

Ive trawled the internet but cant find any answers, can anyone help please?

Tom

MAJ 22:30 11 May 2007

Try; Right-click on the drive's icon in 'My Computer', choose Properties > Recording tab and tick the "Enable CD Recording on this drive" option. Click Apply and OK to exit.

woodchip 22:32 11 May 2007

The drive may be caput, reading is different to writing

tom1978 22:41 11 May 2007

thanks, ive been through properties but there is no tab for recording! even though i have recorded in the past.

the drives are both 8 months old, i hope there not knackered already,strange they would both go at the same time.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:43 11 May 2007

CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
click here

tom1978 22:46 11 May 2007

ok. erm i have burned and ripped with these drives though

woodchip 22:47 11 May 2007

Go to Device Manager and uninstall the drives then restart computer and try them

tom1978 22:52 11 May 2007

thanks. yeh ive tried, also updating drivers. The only thing i feel im left with is reformat of hard drive, no way, i would rather buy a new disc drive.

I thought maybe i was missing something simple, i have installed several music making programs and seperate rip/ burn programs for MP3 player, maybe 1 of these has interfered with the settings?

woodchip 22:56 11 May 2007

Have you tried Restor to before the Problem

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:57 11 May 2007

ive been through properties but there is no tab for recording! even though i have recorded in the past.

the link I posted earlier exactly describes your problem and the only solution is a registry edit as described

or do a ssytem restore to a time before the problem occurred.

tom1978 23:05 11 May 2007

ok thanks. hmm seems that could be a problem. the prblem occurred about 7 months ago as I had to move house and the com was in storage!

can i restore that far back? if not does that mean im stuffed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires