Disc Imaging Software For Vista 64Bit?

Blitzer 23:34 01 Nov 2008

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some decent and reliable disc imaging / backup software for a Vista 64bit based PC?

Ideally I want to be able to run the software directly from CD/DVD before the OS boots and create backups and restore HD's from there rather than having to install and run the software in Windows itself.

retep888 23:48 01 Nov 2008

Acronis True Image

Blitzer 17:12 02 Nov 2008

Thanks for the suggestion but I did have True Image 11 and found it to be utterly useless with Vista.

Rather than allowing me to return my PC to a known previous state the image I restored would not allow me to load Windows. I tried a second older backup image I had and again this also would not allow me to load windows. Very annoyed. Naturally I won't be touching that piece of rubbish again.

Unfortunately, customer reviews of Norton Ghost also show a similar level of dissappointment with it's performance. Much the same as the reviews for True Image TBH.

Open to further suggestions though, I really need something to create reliable disc images with.

Pine Man 17:45 02 Nov 2008

Methinks you were doing something wrong!

The latest versions of Acronis True Image are designed for Vista and I can assure you they do work. I have restored my Vista PC many times and I'm sure that, in time, many other readers will confirm their successes as well.

Blitzer 18:08 02 Nov 2008

Well if I was doing something wrong then it must have been following the on-screen instructions that True Image was giving me. :-(

When two images both effectively fail because they leave my PC unable to load windows I find that an unacceptable failure rate. I really wish it had worked and not let me down. The fact that it did twice over was enough for me to bin the software. Backup software needs to be reliable and for me True Image proved otherwise. Believe me I was not impressed having to re-install Vista, drivers and all my software from scratch. Rather than provide me with a means of restoring my system to a known previous state TI basically left me with a non-working PC.

I should have posted my experience of True Image or at least said I tried it and found it useless. Thanks for your reply anyway though. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?