Disc drive not working!

Georgie68 12:07 12 May 2009

Please help!
Yesterday I was using my disc drive fine - today it's no longer working! Nothing has been altered, removed or changed in any way.
This is my drive - HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B

This is the message I get -
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The drive may be corrupted or missing (code 39)"

What can I do?!
I'm running win xp sp3

User-1229748 12:42 12 May 2009

if you go into device manager are there any yellow exclamation marks ?

Georgie68 12:47 12 May 2009

Yes, then when I click 'properties', that's what gives me the message printed in my post.

brundle 12:49 12 May 2009
  Georgie68 13:09 12 May 2009

Brundle, that worked a treat!
Can't imagine what went wrong in the first place, but many thanks to you :-)

birdface 14:52 12 May 2009

Will not work for me.XP SP3 any ideas.

brundle 17:02 12 May 2009

"Will not work for me.XP SP3 any ideas." - you mean fixing DVD issues? Or the link? It's only the same fix as this one; click here

birdface 18:20 12 May 2009

Hi brundle.I think my d Drive is past the state of fixing but i thought that I would try and run the fix it tool.
After it ran I got this message. Fix it does not apply to Operating system or application Version. Using XP SP3.
Like I said I think the drive has had it.its been like that for a few years.I have tried most things except replacing it.I am just wondering why the tool would not work.

philterrer 15:21 17 Dec 2009

Following all the steps above the MS fixit told me that my drive was unable to burn CD although I have used it with NERO and other graphic progs to burn both audio and data which I can still do BUT when I try to create a recovery disc with the instructions in the latest official MS magazine that prog still does not recognise the drive. I ask he question is it that the MS engineers do not understand cd burning?

Technotiger 15:47 17 Dec 2009

CD/DVD drive problems can often be resolved by simply running the respective CD or DVD Cleaning Disks - a clean lens can make all the difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?