Disc Clone to larger HD

Michael_R 10:45 29 May 2009

Hi Everyone
I want to use a larger HD in my PC (win XP SP3). I believe I need to "clone" all my existing HD to the new HD. It must transfer Win XP and its COA seserial number and all my other programs with serial numbers.

I do not want to have to reload windows and all my programs onto the new HD. My questions are these.

What is the best (easiest) software to do this with?

Are there any online instructions or videos that I can review to see what the task entails?

Thanks
Mike

Technotiger 11:28 29 May 2009

You need Acronis True Image - the Clone option is very straight-forward, just choosing Clone and following on-screen prompts/settings - I would advise leave all settings at Default. Your new larger drive should preferably be in a USB Drive Caddy to make things dead easy. Once cloned it is just a simple matter to physically replace your old smaller drive with the new drive out of the caddy. Never fear, absolutely everything will be on your new drive, and when you boot up with the new drive in place the only difference you will see is when you look at the size of the drive in My Computer.

Belatucadrus 12:10 29 May 2009

Macrium reflect free edition.
click here

Technotiger 14:42 29 May 2009

Hi, have looked at your link - looks good for free disk imaging, but that is not the same as Cloning!

Diemmess 15:12 29 May 2009

I too use Acronis.
Just follow the prompts and accept default the settings.

Personally, I avoid using the password option and on subsequent backups (after the first) I stay will a full backup, not an incremental one.

There is a point where you can give the backup a plain language memo, like the date or any special points about the drive you are backing up. This can be useful several months later when you are not quite sure about the purpose when you made it

The fact that your "target" is a larger HD is no snag at all. The restoration will leave space where it has no more data to restore.

Michael_R 15:57 29 May 2009

Thanks everyone. I'll go the Acronis route.
Mike

Technotiger 16:13 29 May 2009

I also avoid the Password option, and on subsequent backups I always make Full Backups, not Incrementals or Differentials.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?