Disc cleanup /Compress old files

oseven 17:07 23 Oct 2006

My computer had slowed a little so I decided to have a bit of a cleanup.I was astonished to find that when I ran disc cleanup I had 3gb ( yes 3GB ) of files in the Compress Old Files section.When I clicked options the compress after box was set at 50 days.It must have been like this since I bought the computer 4 months ago.What is the normal number of days to set this box at please?As the contents of this section are presumably useless files why have it set above 1 day?

terryf 17:22 23 Oct 2006

Careful, it may be that it compresses aged files that have not been used for a while, I would google for an answer or try F1 on the desktop

oseven 17:26 23 Oct 2006

terryf
What should happen when I click F1 on the desktop please?

terryf 17:28 23 Oct 2006

You get a help screen, I thought everbody no that :-)

oseven 18:45 23 Oct 2006

terryf
Must admit I have never got round to using any of the "f" keys.Very remiss of me.Have Googled as you suggested but get lots of conflicting advice.One even suggests that Old files should not be compressed as it can harm the running of a computer.Surely Microsoft would not make this an option in Disk Cleanup if it was detrimental to Windows

VoG II 18:47 23 Oct 2006

You only really need to compress old files if you are running out of disk space.

oseven 19:38 23 Oct 2006

I still do not know what these old files are or what their level of importance is to the smooth running of a computer.Also why keep them for 50 days ? Why does MS offer to compress if this is detrimental? So many questions.Will take VoG's advice as I still have 600gb to spare.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?