Disaster after deleting Virus file

Indigo 1 17:50 06 Jan 2005

I need help !!

I recently changed from AVG anti virus to Avast a-v because I am a skinflint and got a virus on my PC (never had this with AVG sigh).

Did a scan with Avast which found a virus (info lost)so I deleted the file, I found that I was locked out of My Computer and could not get into any of My Documents at all, explorer would just close with an error message. I suspected I had deleted something important so I created a new account,I then re-booted and that's when I discovered the problem which is this. I have lost my main user account !

As I am the only person using this PC, I only set-up one account in my own name originally but now cannot access any of my files through the new account. I have also tried in desperation to create a new account in the old name but windoze denies it due to there already being an account in that name but I cannot find it or log-on with it. I have found the account folder which still has all My Favourites for IE6 and everything that was on MY Desktop but cannot find the original My Documents folder with tons of pictures, video's, music etc.

All attempts at resoration have failed as have any attempts to restore from backup.

I may need detailed info for recovery of my doc's.

Win XP Pro SP2, 1024 MB Ram, 1 HDD @ 60 Gig + 1 Hdd @ 20 Gig. + many extras.

mattyc_92 17:55 06 Jan 2005

Have you tried logging in as the "buit-in administrator"???

VoG II 17:57 06 Jan 2005

Restart, just before the Windows logo appears keep tapping the F8 key to bring up the boot menu.

Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Log on with an account that is a member of the administrators group (preferably the Administrator account).

At the > command prompt, type (exactly as written)

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press the Enter key

This will start the "Welcome to System Restore" screen. Go through the steps of the Wizard and follow the instructions to restore your system to a restore point when your account was working correctly.

This may restore the virus, of course. However, at least now you should be able to back up all your stuff before attempting to remove the virus.

Indigo 1 17:58 06 Jan 2005

No option for Built In Administrator

Indigo 1 18:00 06 Jan 2005

Nice to hear from you again.

Unfortunately all attemts at Backup/Restore have failed including Restore in Safe Mode.

Will try your batch file though.

Cheers

mattyc_92 18:01 06 Jan 2005

The "built-in adminsitrator" is just called "administrator" and you don't have to "boot into safe mode" as some pointed out to me awhile ago...

On the "welcome Screen" press ctrl+alt+delete twice and this will load up the windows classic logon screen... Now type in "administrator" and press enter (if you have created the password for it during windows installation, or editiing the registry, then type in the password)

Indigo 1 18:08 06 Jan 2005

Cheers M8 I love you, I love you, I love you ***

Well I have now got back into my old account and all seems to be fine but will this account be available when I log off or will I need to do the same again ? and if so how do I restore my account to the log-on section?

Indigo 1 18:14 06 Jan 2005

Ok it is as I suspected, still no account in log-on section but double clicking CTRL+ALT+Del does the trick.

If Vog is still reading, do you think your solution is still worth a try or not ?

VoG II 18:18 06 Jan 2005

Now you've got your old account back, you need to log on as the Administrator, then go to Control Panel, User Accounts and remove the new account. You should then find that the old account is logged in automatically.

*Before you do this or anything else* please back up all your important documents to CD or Zip or whatever.

Indigo 1 18:24 06 Jan 2005

Ahhh cheers Vog, Have just been experimenting and discovered that if I change the way users log-on/off in control panel/user accounts, and select Fast User Switching, I have both accounts available but in 'normal' mode there is only the new account. So will now delete new account as you suggest ( I remember vaguely that was how I set it up in the first place ).

Fingers X'ed

Indigo 1 18:28 06 Jan 2005

Well there does not seem to be an option to delete the new account.

All I have is,

.Change the name

.Create a password

.Change picture

.Change the account type

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?