Disappearing OE e-mail messages

Guesswho 16:50 21 Apr 2005

3 times in the past 4 months, all my email messages have suddenly disappeared - Inbox, Sent, Folders everything but not my Address book.
Anyone come across this? The last time it happened was a couple of days ago when I had already started using Thunderbird. Those emails seemed unaffected so I've made it my default but I would love to know if there's a worm or something that caused the problem.
Cheers, Ken

Yoda Knight 16:53 21 Apr 2005

Run a scan from click here or click here to check for any nasties

Guesswho 09:11 22 Apr 2005

Sorry, I forgot to say that I'm running XP with SP2, AVG, Spybot, Adaware and Microsoft AntiSpyware so I'm worried about doing an online scan in case there's a clash.
Ken

Yoda Knight 09:30 22 Apr 2005

It doesnt cause a clash on my machine, and I'm running exactly the same setup.

However, it is better to restart in safe mode with networking support and run the scans from there, which will also prevent any potential conflicts anyway

Guesswho 16:06 23 Apr 2005

Thanks for the idea. I'll screw up my courage and have a go in the next day or two. I'm not yet a computer buff!

Guesswho 08:54 24 May 2005

I have discovered that it was all my fault!
My problem now is how to retrieve e-mail messages from a My Documents folder!!!! I know that they're there but when I try to open a file, it's gobbledegook!

GroupFC 09:22 24 May 2005

What is the file extension? If they are all gobbledegook then you are probably trying to open them with an incorrect program.

If the file extension is .dbx (such as inbox.dbx, then you could try this whhcih should let you read the e-mails click here

Guesswho 16:46 24 May 2005

Thanks - I've downloaded as you suggest, but I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know how to make use of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone