Disappearing Internet

comcraze 10:32 20 Feb 2005

I have two computers. They are both networked via a router in the middle. The router is made by Belkin. Both run Windows XP Professional Edition. One of them has mysteriously lost it's connection to the internet and the other computer. However, although this computer cannot access the network or internet or router, the other computer can access the internet and the first computer and the router! The internet connection is supplied through the router. I know that there is no hardware problem as when I ran Knoppix 3.7 on the 'disconnected' computer, it detected my network card and connections and instantly connected to the other computer and the internet. This means there is a problem that resides in Windows. Has anyone got any ideas about what is wrong?

bemuzed 10:47 20 Feb 2005

I have the same problem using Windows Me and you can see the advice I got. Not tried it yet.
click here

comcraze 20:28 20 Feb 2005

Your problem is different as mine only started now and hasn't happened before and the router says that the computer is connected but the computer can't access the network or internet. As I mentioned above - IT IS NOT A HARDWARE PROBLEM AND IT IS A PROBLEM WITH WINDOWS!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie