Disappearing Icons!

oldseadog 17:46 29 Oct 2005

My Volume and Power Remaining Icons on my laptops Task Bar have disappeared.
When I look in Control Panel at the Power Option and Sound & Audio Devices properties the “show Icons on Task Bar box” is ticked, but alas no Icons.
Any ideas what might be wrong?

ade.h 18:30 29 Oct 2005

Check your Taskbar properties via a right-click of the Start button. The is an option for the handling of system tray icons and they may possibly have been hidden partially or fully.

ade.h 18:31 29 Oct 2005

In properties, select the Taskbar tab and press Customize.

oldseadog 15:43 30 Oct 2005

I have checked the settings in the Taskbar properties. The Volume was set at "Hide when inactive" so I switched it to "always on" re-booted but regretably no Icon; it really is a puzzle. There is one anomaly, the Battery simbol in properties is named "get your treats for Halloween, clould I have a virus"? I'll run a few checks.

ade.h 15:53 30 Oct 2005

Regarding the volume icon specifically; it has to be enabled in volume options (found in the control panel under Sounds and Audio). Click the Advanced button and tick the box below the sliders. One caveat - my personal experience of the volume icon has been a little bit weird in the past, so I no longer use it and rely on the volume controls on my keyboard instead. Probably not an option on your laptop keyboard, admittedly.

ade.h 15:55 30 Oct 2005

Oh, I'm stupid aren't I?! I didn't refresh my memory be re-reading your first post, so I didn't know that you'd already checked the afore-mentioned check box! Sorry.

oldseadog 23:24 30 Oct 2005

Thanks for getting back to me. As the saying goes, all the right boxes have been ticked. Fortunately my laptop does have volume control via the keyboard, so I will opt for option two of your suggestions. Much appreciate all your time and help. Should it eventually be resolved I'll post it on the board.

oldseadog 23:24 30 Oct 2005

Thanks for getting back to me. As the saying goes, all the right boxes have been ticked. Fortunately my laptop does have volume control via the keyboard, so I will opt for option two of your suggestions. Much appreciate all your time and help. Should it eventually be resolved I'll post it on the board.

ade.h 19:26 31 Oct 2005

Happy to help. This might be one of those little Windows niggles that have no obvious fix. At least you have the keyboard controls; that's a better method, I think, because it's quicker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?