Disappearing folders in Documents and Settings

Stephanie 09:40 03 Jan 2008

Just recently I have noticed that I cannot see the Application Data and Local Settings folders in the Docs and Settings folder under my name. I have "show hidden files and folders ticked in the folder view options and have always been able to see them. If I do a search, I can still access them, but it annoys me that they keep disappearing.

Additionally, the whole folder for Default User is not showing. All Users appears to be unaffected.

Has anyone else had this problem? and/or any answers?

Stephanie 09:42 03 Jan 2008

I am running XP service pack 2 with all updates installed

rawprawn 09:55 03 Jan 2008

try running a system file check Start/ Run / type sfc /scannow and Enter. You may need your XP Disc

Stephanie 18:21 03 Jan 2008

sfc came up with nothing.

mfletch 18:29 03 Jan 2008

Hi, I had a similar problem with a picture folder everything inside disappeared,

What I did {after putting the pictures back}

Was to make another folder and move all the pictures to it then deleted the old folder,

Since then I have had no problems,

It must have been a corrupted folder,

mfletch

Stephanie 22:24 03 Jan 2008

Thanks folk, but I think I've found a solution. It's a registry edit, which I found on a cnet forum.

In HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion
/Explorer/Advanced I made the value in the Hidden Key 1 (it was 2) and lo and behold, all the folders appeared.

It was suggested on the cnet forum that some Worms or Trojans can cause this behaviour, but I don't appear to be infected, so I'll see if everything stays as it is now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?