disappearing files on 2nd drive

nelie 15:45 08 Jun 2008

hi all
my daughter installed a game with a trojan horse hidden in it. avg free deleted the file but i am having trouble starting windows.

now i have got it started and my second hard drive isnt showing some of the files that are on there. in properties it says there is 244GB of used space but only 2 files are showing in explorer with a combined total of 31GB. where are the rest? please dont say ive lost them - its all my music.
vista ultimate.

thanks in advance

Diemmess 16:27 08 Jun 2008

If you can restore those files while you rescue your music, there may be a chance.

Don't depend on it and you will be using an infested computer which my behave oddly.

However if you can resurrect and copy the music files to a safe folder preferably an external HD, then you may be able to get rid of the malware in the base unit using AVG again.

nelie 17:54 08 Jun 2008

i can see my files again but the mystery deepens

i opened up the pc and one of the clips that holds the square plastic grey thing over the (?) processor had been displaced. i put it back on and 'repaired' vista using the cd and sys restore.

now things seem to ok. i keep getting a pop up saying the recycle bin on F:\ is corrupt, do i want to empty it? but it wont let me. anyway there is no recycle bin on the f drive, its on the c drive so i dont understand that either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?