Disapearing CD Drive quickie

Epirb406 16:50 31 May 2004

Hi all,

Have a suspicion this has been covered before but....

P II system running windows 98 has a Creative CD3621E CD ROM drive.

Everytime the PC is reebooted the cd dissapeares and I have to run the add new harware wizard which instantly finds it...

Any ideas?

Thanks, Epirb.

Stuartli 17:34 31 May 2004

Have you checked in Device Manager for any yellow exclamation signs by the drive's listing?

You could also try Removing the drive from the listing (via Properties after highlighting it) and then rebooting.

Also check that connections are secure.

Epirb406 18:29 31 May 2004

And though have tried it removing and reinstalling didn't help either but them come to think of it it's the unit itself that keeps removing itself!

All connections OK

Cheers for help, any other ideas?

Epirb.

maz2 18:33 31 May 2004

Have you installed any new drivers for other hardware these can sometimes cause a conflict I installed one for a camera card reader and mine disappeared, or have you downloaded anything recently

Epirb406 18:45 31 May 2004

Has been added of late Maz2

It's just an odd thing!

Epirb.

Epirb406 19:42 01 Apr 2005

Its in the loft!

Enough for the day!

Cheers All, Epirb.

toogie 18:22 01 Jul 2005

I am currently tearing my hair out with a very similar problem. I have lost all reference to my CD drive in my Windows 98 system. No reference in Device manager or My Computer. I have checked connections and they seem OK. The motor pluus the tray in and out and the "Disk In" green light works.
How do I recover it ?

woodchip 19:07 01 Jul 2005

they do not need drivers loading. Windows OS loads protected mode drivers for CD and dvd drives. you only have to load writing software for CDRW or DVDRW to play dvd you have to load play software if media player will not play it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?