Disabling SSID Broadcasting

ste76 23:57 22 Aug 2008

Does disabling SSID Broadcasting change your network (SSID) name to "Unnamed Network" when it has been disabled?

I was told to disable that when configuring the Netgear DG834G router, but when I came to connecting my new laptop wirelessly, i saw a load of other peoples networks that the router had picked up, and one unnamed network, not the SSID name i chose. I reckoned that the unnamed network must have been mine because of disabling the SSID Broadcast, so i tried connecting to it, and luckily it worked.
Thing is, now i see a network with the SSID name that i chose and another unnamed network that looks like it could be mine as well.
Have I done something wrong here or what?
Any help would be appreciated.

mgmcc 08:25 23 Aug 2008

To connect a new computer wirelessly to your network, you should enable SSID broadcasting, connect to it in the usual way and then hide the SSID again. There is a setting in the "Association" tab of the Wireless Network Connection's Properties sheet to "Connect even if network is not broadcasting".

dawood 17:13 23 Aug 2008

That unnamed network can be other wireless network with disabled SSID broadcast as well.. You can test to connect to it, provide your encryption key and see whether it works.

Check more wireless network security tips here click here to secure wireless network. Hope it helps..

ste76 23:23 23 Aug 2008

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I decided to start all over again since i did it all wrong. i enabled the SSID broadcasting this time and could see my SSID name, so i connected to it and got a completely different window come up this time with what sort of network i wanted. i chose "Home" and saved it.

I then went back in the router settings and disabled SSID broadcasting. But soon as i did that, that unnamed network appeared again. when i look what wireless networks there are available, i see MY SSID name and an unnamed network that i can also log into.
when i don't disable SSID broadcasting, only my SSID name is shown. But soon as i disable SSID broadcasting again, that unnamed network appears again.

what gives?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?