disabling Outlook at Startup

whynotsusan 10:39 12 Oct 2004

Since I loaded XP SP2, every time I start the computer, Outlook opens. I don't use it and want to stop it opening. I've looked in 'MSconfig/startup and I can't identify it there (most of the things in there are gobbledegook anyway). Anybody know how to stop it, please?

stugra 10:49 12 Oct 2004

Is it a Sony VAIO??

stugra 11:02 12 Oct 2004

check this

click here

whynotsusan 11:34 12 Oct 2004

stugra,
My machine is not a Vaio, it's home built. The main board is by HOlco, model AK32, if that means anything. Has anyone else had this problem with SP2 I wonder?

VoG II 11:38 12 Oct 2004

Is this Outlook or Outlook Express?

whynotsusan 11:47 12 Oct 2004

It's MS Outlook. I use Outlook Express quite happily for my e-mail program. I use MS Schedule+ for my calendar/time manager/contacts list, it's an old program but I use it 'cos I always did and I have imported the files each time I've upgraded. I like it better than Outlook, which is why I don't want Outlook to open.

jolorna 11:49 12 Oct 2004

do you use msn messenger for a hotmail account because as soon as i loaded sp2 and booted up then outlook express was opend up by msn messenger sp2 had made it the default mail program i just unchecked it as default and made my other email default

whynotsusan 11:52 12 Oct 2004

No, it's not Messenger that's causing it, but thanks

Micro-Man 13:08 12 Oct 2004

I recall using Add/Remove programs in control panel, then selecting Office to remove the Outlook component since I too don't use it. I did have to go to the Internet Options to check that Outlook Express was my default mail handler though.

whynotsusan 13:19 12 Oct 2004

Micro-Man, I just tried what you suggested. I think it has worked but I won't know for sure till I restart and I can't do that at the moment.
THanks for that.

whynotsusan 16:29 12 Oct 2004

Yes it has worked. Would have been better if I could have disabled it, this way it means Outlook is no longer there if I should want to use it (unlikely), but at least it's gone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?