Disabling onboard graphics and sound on motherboar

erkmatrix 16:46 23 Aug 2006

Hi I've had a look at the ASUS A8N-VM motherboard manual that came with my new PC to see how I disable the onboard graphics and sound before I install my new graphics card and old audigy 2 soundcard from my old machine, however I don't see where it says how to do this , I had a look in the bios and don't see how to this.

I've tried contacting the ASUS website which seems to be the slowest website I've ever been on and wanted to know all these serial numbers that I just couldn't see just to ask them a question.

Does anyone have an idea of what I need to do to get my new Geforce Nvidia 7600 GT graphics card installed and disable my onboard graphics and also disbale the sound which is something like SOUNDMAX I persume as I've seen it mention this, from my machine and get my Audigy 2 soundcard working with it.

Cheers

erkmatrix 17:46 23 Aug 2006

Anyone have any clue

rodriguez 17:55 23 Aug 2006

To be honest if it's a fairly new board it might be automatic anyway. When it detects you've plugged in 2 expansion cards it shout just shut the on board off and it'll all go through the cards then. If it doesn't, then there should be a setting in the BIOS somewhere to switch it.

citadel 18:07 23 Aug 2006

first install graphics card, it will auto disable onboard graphics when the card is inserted in the slot. when you are satisfied the card is working ok install sound card but first go to bios and disable onboard sound. look in your motherboard manual to find this, usually it is ac97.

flyboy 18:19 23 Aug 2006

If you are running Windows XP I seem to remember reading that you can disable on board graphics via Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/ Display Adaptors click properties, you may be able to disable the controller. Same for Sound-Video-game controller

I am given to understand this is way Dell advise dsabling their on board devices.

I'm not recommending you do this but it may give a pointer

erkmatrix 22:21 23 Aug 2006

Can anyone say it would be ok to disable onboard this way for my motherboard the way flyboy suggested

wee eddie 22:29 23 Aug 2006

Do the Sound Card first.

Leave the Graphics Card out till later.

If the thing works as they say then there will be no problem with the Graphics Card.

If it doesn't work that way. Sorting things out without sound isn't really much of a problem.

Stuartli 22:30 23 Aug 2006

I've always had to Disable onboard sound in the Bios - as Citadel states it's listed either as Onboard Sound (can also apply to onboard riser modems) or AC97.

However, in truth the Intel Audio Codecs 97 standard has been raised pretty regularly over the years, just as Intel has with, for instance, power supply units specifications. More information at:

click here

woodchip 22:33 23 Aug 2006

Check the Manual on how to disable sound it could be a on board jumper or it could be in the BIOS. Graphics may Disable when you fit a Graphics card automatic

erkmatrix 22:35 23 Aug 2006

yeah I've looked through the manual but it doesn't really make much sense to me, I don't see it mention disabling onboard graphics or sound.

woodchip 22:38 23 Aug 2006

In the Manual you may need to look at BIOS settings or MOBO Setup

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?