Disabling McAfee or else?

dummyuno 00:52 12 May 2009

My Acer (Vista H.P.) came with McAfee virus check, which requires payment after 60 days of free use. I can get Symantec for free through my school; so, I downloaded Symantec and tried to run it. Then, it tells me another software is running and suggets to reboot and run again. But it won't solve the problem; it just repeats the same suggestion. I guess I have to disable McAfee first. Is that right? If so, how can I disable it? I went to Control Panel but there seems to be no option to disable a running McAfee.

brundle 01:02 12 May 2009

You need to REMOVE Mcafee before installing another antivirus or security application - if it won't uninstall via the usual Add/Remove Programs in XP or Programs and Features in Vista there's a removal tool; click here

User-1229748 08:44 12 May 2009

even after running the removal tool you might find there is still things left behind by norton so you might want to give ccleaner a run click here

User-1229748 08:49 12 May 2009

just to add if you are not comfortable using a reg cleaner just click analyze and you can choose what to get rid of but ccleaner is pretty soft as reg cleaners go

User-1229748 08:50 12 May 2009

sorry that should read scan for issues not analyze.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?