Disabling the Fans - I know an odd request!!

alexgray104 17:46 12 Oct 2005

I have a Acer Travelmate 2200 laptop running xp home and would like to diable the fans for about 10 mins. I know the fans do the pc good, but I am going into a short but quite important exam tomorrow and it would be quite embarrasing to hear the loud fans of the laptop over the silence!! I have tried going into the BIOS but its the acer version and you don't get many options, just the boot list basically! Thnaks in advance for your help.

Graham ® 17:51 12 Oct 2005

Can you push a small piece of paper into the vent?

alexgray104 18:00 12 Oct 2005

Fraid not, its got that mesh on it so the effect would be pointless. :(

Diemmess 18:14 12 Oct 2005

But if it is worth it and there seems no simple way of disconnecting, then sound deadening is the only way.

A bed of fleecy cotton under and around the edges might help, but 10 minutes under any sort of 'cosy' might be much too long. Not only are you stopping circilation of air, but you would be preventing any peripheral cooling.

€dstowe 18:37 12 Oct 2005

Can we assume that computers aren't allowed in the exam then?

If they are, then there will be no problem with your machine making some slight noise.

If they aren't, that is called cheating and is, at the least, unethical.

woodchip 18:42 12 Oct 2005

If you want a Fried Laptop push a stick in it

Graham ® 19:08 12 Oct 2005

Would that be with French Fries, Sir?

Methedrine 19:18 12 Oct 2005

I have the same model laptop and I wouldn't dream of stopping the fans. I recommend you don't either unless you want to shell out for a new laptop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:37 12 Oct 2005

You won't hear it above the sound of everybody elses laptop.

interzone55 20:08 12 Oct 2005

Push a stick in the vent would not work as a laptop heatsink tends to be P shaped, with the fan over the CPU and the heat pipes transfer the heat round the corner & out the vent.

Most laptop fans only activate when the CPU is stressed, so providing you are not doing anything taxing the loudest noise would be the hard drive.

wolfie3000 20:12 12 Oct 2005

as others have said your laptop will fry if the fans are disabled if your allowed to use laptops in the exam im sure they will understand as laptop fans dont make to much noise but if you are using the laptop covertly for cheating o wouldnt risk frying it or risk getting caught.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone