disabling on board graphics card (Tiny PC)

samthemantosspot 21:49 13 Apr 2008

I need some help,my son has purchased an nvidia geoforce fx5200 graphics card,in order to fit this we have to disable integral card.I have searched through bios and I am unable to find anything connected to graphics to disable.I will therefore have to disconnect cable manually (jumpers) from motherboard.Any ideas how I can identify these as I have no idea which ones to disconnect.I am unable to identify type of motherboard.

mrwoowoo 21:56 13 Apr 2008

Insert your new graphics card into the AGP port
Boot the PC and enter the Setup menu to access the BIOS typically by pressing [F1] or [Del]. Go to the 'Advanced Features’ page and select to 'Disable Onboard VGA’. The wording and location may vary according to your BIOS, but you should be able to find it. Press [F10] to save changes to the BIOS and exit. Your PC should now boot recognising your new graphics card and prompt you to install the new drivers for it in Windows.

beeuuem 22:12 13 Apr 2008

There is no need to physically disconnect anything. These days many motherboards detect the graphics card and automatically disconnect the onboard graphics.
I would be inclined to install the card and drivers and only worry about the onboard graphics if there is a problem. Should it be necessary the onboard graphics can usually be disabled in the BIOS. It depends on the BIOS type, on mine the graphics are under 'PnP/PCI configuration'. But I installed the graphics card without making any changes to the BIOS.

Strawballs 22:13 13 Apr 2008

What is the model number of the Tiny PC?

samthemantosspot 22:15 13 Apr 2008

I really cant find anything in bios relating to on board vga.By the way this card only fits into pci slot.We did manage to get upto install driver stage but screen blinks and goes blank-just a flashing white tab in top left hand corner

mrwoowoo 22:19 13 Apr 2008

Download and install this.
It will tell you which motherboard you have,among other things.Then post back with the info.
click here

samthemantosspot 22:20 13 Apr 2008

Model No.S27.Does this sound right-it is a few years old (5 yrs approx)with celeron 2.4 processor,256 mb RAM.
I must apologise for my ignorance,I am a novice.But my son is driving me insane!!!

woodchip 22:24 13 Apr 2008

Never had to do anything when I put a Ati card into a Medion MSI board it did it automatic

woodchip 22:25 13 Apr 2008

Sorry that was a Asus with onboard Graphics

samthemantosspot 22:30 13 Apr 2008

Mainboard is MSI International P4M266-8235

woodchip 22:34 13 Apr 2008

it should do it atuomatic

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires