Disabling on board graphics card

vaughan007 08:27 03 Jun 2003

My brothers PC has an on-board graphics card. However, he reckons the motherboard has an AGP slot. He wants to install an AGP card into his PC.

My question is...How can he (or me, as it will more than likely be me) disable his on board card so the PC will use the new AGP card?

Also, is there anything else I should know about.

I know I should be giving you more info on the type of PC, but this is unavailable at the moment. So I am really afer generic replies so to speak of how to go about it and what to be careful of.

Thanks as always.

Kitz E Kat 08:34 03 Jun 2003

You need to get into the BIOS,keep an eye on the screen during startup, you should see a line on the screen saying something like "to enter setup press DEL key now" press the key and your in! The mouse is no use in BIOS, use the arrow keys to scroll up down. Look in the menus and find the graphics menu and disable on board graphics, save changes and quit the computer will now boot up. Check first that you have a AGP port, some computers dont, hope this helps

Lú-tzé 08:45 03 Jun 2003

Be sure to tell the bios what to use to display graphics - there is an option for it to use the AGP slot. If you disable the onboard graphics without giving an alternative, you could be in trouble with some older machines.

hugh-265156 08:46 03 Jun 2003

i updated my sis onboard graphics to a agp card.its quite straightforward and should be the same for most systems.

first asuming that this is windows xp,go to controlpanel/system/devicemanager and look for display adapter or a reference to the onboard graphics.right click it and select uninstall and then shut down the computer.

open the case and look for the agp slot(usually brown in colour and above the white pci slots)slot in the new card and turn on the computer.

on starting enter the bios by tapping F1 F2 F5 delete etc(it will say on the screen)and check under advanced chipset for onboard or shared graphics and if not disabled,set as.also check the agp is set to x4 or x8 as the specs for the new card and agp app size is set to about 64 or 128(not that important so long as its set to 16 or over)exit the bios saving changes.

when windows starts up it should now detect the new card and prompt to install the drivers.my advice is to click cancel(twice if secondary display is found)an instead of installing the drivers from the cd get the latest ones from ati or nvidia as the ones on the cd will be out of date.click here click here

vaughan007 09:00 03 Jun 2003

Thanks people. Nice and fast replies there!

Just spoke to my brother. His machine has Windows 98.

I will leave the thread open for a little longer, just in case anyone else would like to put in their two penneth.

Regards and thanks.

Diemmess 10:16 03 Jun 2003

One pennyworth only.

"Beware the thing that goes doy-ying"

If the mobo is very old there may be a jumper to set.......
If it is relatively recent, the selection in BIOS can even be "Auto".... just to put a small cloud on the horizon....

More likely things will work out as the advice before this, is good advice........ Just expect the unexpected.

Lú-tzé 10:46 03 Jun 2003

The OS (Win98) is not so important as the BIOS - that will determine how to install an AGP card.It may be necessary to have a look at the mobo manual - if you don't know it, get aida32 from click here to identify the mobo.

vaughan007 22:37 03 Jun 2003

Cheers folks.

I think I should be OK now.

As always you have all been very kind with your help.

:-D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?