disabling bios memory options

Astrid 19:05 23 Aug 2010

I have had Tune Up Utilities on my Windows XP SP3 system, but since installing it my computer reboots several times an hour, leaving a blue screen with the advice to "disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. However, after repeatedly trying, pressing F2, F11, or ESC on start up, I can't get into the correct screen. I see from the Internet that many people have had the same problem. I've temporarily uninstalled Top Up Utilities but as I still want to use it, I need to sort out the BIOS problem first. Can anyone on this forum suggest another method?

DieSse 19:14 23 Aug 2010

If this is an older system, pressing Del on startup is most common.

Astrid 09:50 25 Aug 2010

Thank you for the above, but I've tried it, plus every other possible way of accessing the bios, but haven't succeeded. In the meantime, the blue screen hasn't showed for a while, so I'm hoping the problem has self-resolved. Any other ideas for accessing the bios (on a cloned computer) welcome.

DieSse 13:40 25 Aug 2010

What motherboard does it have?

Astrid 14:48 25 Aug 2010

I assume this gives the relevant info: ?
Board: K7S41GX 1.0
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P2.00 10/28/2004

gengiscant 17:45 25 Aug 2010

According to the manual it should be f2 click here to enter the Bios.Daft question,are you tapping as soon as you power on? and does it not say what key to tap at the post screen.

DieSse 17:45 25 Aug 2010

Here is the user manual (pdf download) - which may be a useful thing to have.

In it it says F2 to enter the BIOS (as well as all the BIOS setting procedure).

Do you have a USB keyboard? If so it may not be active until after the OS is loaded. In this case you'll need to beg/borrow/steal a regular keyboard. If that's the issue you can change the BIOS to see the USB keyboard during the POST.

gengiscant 17:45 25 Aug 2010

Sorry page 19.

DieSse 17:46 25 Aug 2010

Sorry - forgot the link - bit gengiscant gave it anyway. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?