Disable USB device unplug feature

daba 23:40 13 Nov 2007

I'm using Windows 2K Pro, which warns of "Unsafe Removal of {USB} device".

When I switch my USB printer off, I get this warning, because the printer has Card Slots.

Is there any way to stop the Unsafe Removal warning for the printer only ?

€dstowe 08:00 14 Nov 2007

I would suggest you don't attempt to disable this safety feature (even if you are able to). It is there to protect two expensive pieces of equipment - your computer and your printer.

For the small trouble it is to heed the warning, do as it asks - you never know, one day you may find that you will be glad you did.

daba 13:46 14 Nov 2007

I appreciate what you say, but by the time you get the nag, it's too late anyway - you've gone and done it !

And the printer installation doesn't put the icon in the systray (it is set to be there), so I can't do the usual "Unplug Hardware"

xania 14:05 14 Nov 2007

I would think this is because the printer did notinstall all its software correctly. It may be worth checking the printer manufacter's website to see if there is a known problem or if anyone else has found, and cured, the problem, but also try uninstalling the printer, rebooting, reinstalling the printer and rebooting - also make sure you instll the printer correctly i.e. make sure you don't connect the printer until you have gone as far with the installation process as instucted in the manual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires