Disable modem on Netgear DG834G

alto8 11:03 12 Nov 2005

I have just signed up with Blueyonder but cannot connect to the internet with the router as it is a modem as well. Can I disbale the modem on the Netgear as I have been adviced that the conflict is that I have the Blueyonder modem and the modem on the router as well. Apparently I need a wirelss router on its own. Any help will be much aappreciated.

keewaa 11:12 12 Nov 2005

The DG834G will replace the blueyonder modem. If you are setting up broadband for the first time then use the blueyonder modem to set it all up, note any settings you may need, and get it all working with the blueyonder modem alone. Then take the blueyonder modem out of the picture completely and use the DG834G. Usually it will auto configure itself during the setup process or you may have to input the settings you noted. Blueyonder won't provide any support for this new DG834G and will not help you. Follow the DG834G instructions when setting it up and completely forget about wireless until you have it working wired, and then set up the wireless part last of all.

Forum Editor 11:14 12 Nov 2005

you need a wireless access point, not an ADSL wireless router/modem. There's an ethernet connector for the wireless access point on the back of the set-top box.

keewaa 11:14 12 Nov 2005

oopps ... or is Blueyonder cable as opposed to adsl ... if Blueyonder is cable then you are correct you have the wrong equipment and need something like the WGR614.

mgmcc 12:25 12 Nov 2005

Blueyonder *IS* Cable Broadband and you cannot use the Netgear DG834G combined Router/ADSL Modem with it. You need a "stand-alone" Wireless Router or, as the Forum Editor suggests, a Wireless Access Point plugged into Blueyonder's Cable Modem or Set-top Box.

However, for some strange reason, Wireless Access Points on their own tend to be more expensive than a Wireless Router which incorporates a W.A.P., so go for a wireless router - just be careful that it is *not* a combined router & ADSL modem.

alto8 17:27 12 Nov 2005

Blueyonder is cabled, so I cannot take the cable modem out of the scenario. Looking from the replies I will have to buy a new wireless router. Have any of been abel to disable the modem of the Netgear so that I can then use the router only. Is there a setting where I can just add the MAC address or something like that.

pegaso 17:23 16 Nov 2005

I have mistakenly bought a Linksys wireless broadband router [modelWRT54G-Uk] by mistake as I need an ASDl system rather than one for a cable system. Let me know if you are interested as I am about to post it on e-bay.

mgmcc 19:14 16 Nov 2005

<<< Have any of been abel to disable the modem of the Netgear so that I can then use the router only. Is there a setting where I can just add the MAC address or something like that. >>>

As I said previously, you CANNOT use the DG834G combined "Router/ADSL Modem" with Telewest cable - period!

A stand-alone router has an RJ45 ethernet WAN (Wide Area Network) port to connect to the cable modem or set-top box by ethernet cable.

A combined Router and ADSL modem has a conventional modem cable (RJ11 to RJ11 or RJ11 to BT plug) for its WAN port and this can ONLY be connected to an ADSL enabled phone line.

LivEviL 19:15 16 Nov 2005

if its the DG834GT model u may need an upgrade of firmware i didnt straight away

netgear doesnt have it on its site
but heres the link click here its at the bottom for the download

mgmcc 19:35 16 Nov 2005

<<< if its the DG834GT model u may need an upgrade of firmware >>>

You can do whatever you want with the firmware, a combined Router/ADSL Modem WILL NOT WORK WITH TELEWEST *CABLE* BROADBAND!!

jamesthepilot 20:27 30 Apr 2007

You CAN use the DG834G with telewest (virgin media) you simply disable DHCP and connect the cable ethernet to the wireless router.

Setting up the internet conection over the wireless connection is another issue, however the cable router works perfectly.

Sadly I can see that this is long out of date...but you should have kept the router!!!!
James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?