Disable AVG Free Anti Virus

terminalfailure 10:22 09 Jan 2010

I have just purchased a new low end lap top with Vista Home premium pre installed.

As part of the deal I could send off to microsoft for a free windows 7 upgrade which I now have however prior to installation the software is saying disable anti virus progs and I cannot see how to do this as AVG says its running in background even if I exit program.

Can or will this cause problems upgrading to Win 7.

As an extra to this I have seen comments on the forums suggesting that upgrades are not best option and a full copy is a better way forward.

Appreciate input as five would say

LinH 10:56 09 Jan 2010

Press the start button and type msconfig into the search box. When the title appears (near the top) double click on it and the msconfig window will appear. Access the Services and Startup tabs and look for anything to do with AVG and untick the respective boxes. Close the msconfig window and reboot. This should solve your problem

LinH

mooly 17:49 09 Jan 2010

Always use the proper removal tool for any AV product.
click here

Installing W7... why not give MSE a try ?
click here

mooly 17:53 09 Jan 2010

And a clean install on a freshly formatted partition is always preferable to an upgrade.

I'm sure it can be done from an upgrade disk just as Vista can... and use the "advanced drive options" on the upgrade DVD to do the format.

Ask on the W7 forum :)

terminalfailure 12:47 10 Jan 2010

Thanks for input folks I think I have enough to get on with.........Regards

Sea Urchin 15:27 10 Jan 2010

To temporarily disable AVG from running in the background open the AVG user interface (double click system tray icon) and then double-click Resident Shield. Under Resident Shield Settings (towards the bottom) remove the tick from the Resident Shield Active box - click Save Changes and exit.

To restart repeat the process in reverse (ie replace the tick).

Patrik 15:17 15 Mar 2010

I prefer use Protemac Netmine.It's really good firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017