disable automatic restart

Carafaraday 15:30 19 Oct 2006

Is it safe to disable windows automatic restart? (ie when an error is encountered). My pc has just shut itself down and restarted having apparently encountered a 'serious error' I remember disabling this at one time
but obviously it has reset itself and before disabling it again I'd welcome some reassurance that it's a sensible thing to do.

(Start/controlpanel, admin tools, computer management, right click CM Local, properties/ Settings, Startup and Recovery, uncheck the option Automatically restart).

Any obvious advantages or disadvantages in disabling this?

VoG II 15:34 19 Oct 2006

I have it turned off. The advantage is that if it restarts automaqtically you may not have time to read any error messages. The disadvantage is that you have to press a button to restart the PC.

Ianjp 15:38 19 Oct 2006

Automatic restart serves no purpose that I can fathom. As VoG says, you can't read the stop messages, but also, if it restarts and stays up, you may not realise that you had a problem.

Just another though, I leave my PC on virtually 24/7. I wouldn't be happy to know my PC had been restarting itself every minute or so all night!

Carafaraday 15:38 19 Oct 2006

Thanks - just the encouragement I needed - I'll turn it off again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?