dirty laptop screen..how to clean

bigboab y 16:13 08 Feb 2006

I have a DEll latitude laptop (oldy but goody) which has a dull screen with what looks like dirty smudges in various places on it.I have tried cleaning the outside of the screen but the smudges remain.Is it possible for dirt to have found its way INSIDE the screen? Is there a plastic clear screen in front of the lcd screen (similar to the glass on a cathode ray screen) and can it be got at for cleaning (and with what).There are only half a dozen screws holding the bezel together so dismantling it for cleaning would be no bother (I think :-)..

anskyber 16:25 08 Feb 2006

Soft cloth. Otherwise there are LCD screen wipes available fronm places like PC World but I cannot guarantee that they willl not harm the screen

GuZ><0r 17:12 08 Feb 2006

If they are special wipes for LCD and TFT screens, then they will not wreck the screen.

bigboab y 18:21 08 Feb 2006

SOOooo..are we saying that I CAN remove the bezel and wipe the lcd screen and/or the inner clear screen which protects the lcd screen.Wiping the outside plastic is no problem

GuZ><0r 19:34 08 Feb 2006

Try first cleaning the outside screen with the special LCD wipes.

Pamy 21:05 08 Feb 2006

I would think that the screen is actually finely abraded(scratched)in places Other than trying a fine jewellery polish I would leave well alone.

woodchip 21:12 08 Feb 2006

You do not take apart LCD TFT's

Mr Mistoffelees 21:15 08 Feb 2006

Indeed, the lcd panel is a sealed unit, dirt cannot get in and you should not make any attempt to open it up.

bigboab y 22:14 08 Feb 2006

That answers my question .. thanks again guys/gals

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?