Dirty Boot sector?

ivesy 16:06 29 Sep 2007

Because my PC was taking ages to boot I decided to do a System Restore to the state the PC was in when I bought it about 18 months ago.

Everything seemed fine until I ran Diskeeper which said the Boot sector on both my drives was "dirty" in fact the C drive was critical. The way around it was to run the boot sector utility which I ran on both drives the program then said everything was fine.

The problem now is every other time I reboot I get a message saying that either or my drives is dirty in the boot sector. The program then starts running before Windows (XP) runs. The other thing that is now happening is when i run AVG it says there's a reading error on the boot sector of the disk.

I can't believe both drives are in such a bad state that they are both "dirty" the second drive was only bought last Christmas and I only store my MP3's on that. I'm tempted to uninstall the Diskeeper program and file an alternative.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

DieSse 16:14 29 Sep 2007

Read here click here which explains what the dirty bit is in the boot sector.

If the dirty bit keeps getting set in normal useage, then either you've got a faulty hard drive or a software issue of some kind.

I would recommend you set SMART to Enabled in the BIOS, and run some SMART checking software (ActiveSMART has a free trial I think). This will give you some indication of whether your drives are getting too many errors (which will slow your system down).

You should also do a Disk Cleanup, and run up-to-date AV and Anti-Spyware software, in case either of these are corrupting your boot sectors.

ivesy 17:12 29 Sep 2007

DieSse

Thanks for that. My AV is uptodate and I've done a disk clean up. I'll try enabling SMART and see if that works. I'll also see if I can get some SMART checking software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?