Directx will not install

gypsyqueen2u 10:17 09 Nov 2005

I have directx 7 on pc with win98SE OS and I need directx 9 for my games, however when I try to install 9 it fails saying 1 or more directx components are being used by an application, close application and retry setup.I have closed all apps before setup, then when that didn't work I shutdown everything I could in startup processes, still didn't work! I did ctrl-alt-delete and closed everything but explorer and still I could not install. So I got desperate and used a program to get rid of Directx so I could do a clean install.....Still will not install and it gives me the same message. Does anyone know what I must do to install for now I have no Directx but there are some components stuck somewhere!
Thanks,
Morgan

ACOLYTE 10:21 09 Nov 2005

Are you installing off a game cd or off the web?
click here

gypsyqueen2u 11:19 09 Nov 2005

I have tried both, neither works.

gypsyqueen2u 21:33 09 Nov 2005

Now my pc is giving me real hell because I don't have any directx working with applications. Does anyone know what I can do?

Skyver 22:38 09 Nov 2005

Running this while attempting a fresh DirectX install may reveal exactly which files are preventing the process from completing, it would give you more to go on. click here
Shut down any un-neccessary tasks before running it, it can generate very large event lists.

gypsyqueen2u 22:56 09 Nov 2005

Thank you I will try it!

gypsyqueen2u 04:42 10 Nov 2005

Well, I downloaded the program and ran it but all it showed running was the install. I still cannot install the directx, it failed again. I have noticed that the directx files can be moved and/or copied except for the ones starting with ddraw. Could that mean something to anyone?

Skyver 10:18 10 Nov 2005

You need to look out for failed WRITE entries in the 5th column. Try uninstalling your video card drivers, if you haven't done so already.

gypsyqueen2u 07:52 12 Nov 2005

I did uninstall the video drivers. I was able to install directx 6, then I installed 7 and 8 without a problem but it still refuses to install 9.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?