DirectX installation Problem

Newuser55 21:24 31 Oct 2003

I have been attempting to install DirectX8 (upgrade from DX7), but when I attempt to run the downloaded update file, the program stalls, and my CPU usage sticks @ 100%. Attempts to stop the installation program from running usually end in my having to "pull the plug".
Thsi is all very frustrating, especialy since I relaise that the update should be painless and quick.
Any ideas, please ?

sil_ver 23:21 31 Oct 2003

Just possible you've got to many progs running in the background. Before going on the web, reboot do a ctrl+alt+del and shutdown all progs that don't need to run.

Newuser55 23:41 31 Oct 2003

I shall try that. I have realised that during the apparent 'dead' stage, with the CPU at 100%, some 20,000+ "inf" files are created in my "inf" folder!
Each is of zero length. Any ideas?
This also happened last week when I was attempting to install "flash7". I feel that I may have a software fault on my machine, but what? A clean reinstall (god forbid!)?

hugh-265156 00:38 01 Nov 2003

click here and download direct x9

even if your card is only dx8 compatable it will work ok.you can install this version just like any other program/exe.

Newuser55 11:29 01 Nov 2003

Thank you for your advice(s), but at last I have succeeded in getting directX9 installed. My main problem was one of impatience. I just did not appreciate the time it took for the initial install program, downloaded from Microsoft, to run and then download and install the full directX itself (I hope that I am making sense). Good advice on "killing" all other running programs..thanks again to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?