DirectDraw problems

Frederika 12:41 29 Dec 2004

I've had a number of problems with my PC recently al l involving DirectX. E.G. using the game HALO an error message appears to say that hardware acceleration might be disabled. Looking at system details, all hardware seems to run fine, graphics card drivers updated etc. The only strange thing when looking at the graphics is that the 64Mb at the(onboard) graphics card don't show up, which make me think the version of DirectX is not compatible with something on my machine. As it seems to be impossible to take the version of DirectX of the machine, I have run out of ideas. Any of you any ideas?

buscrew 12:44 29 Dec 2004

Start/run type dxdiag will give you the version number and may help to pinpoint a problem.

Frederika 13:02 29 Dec 2004

All tests worked for Direct Draw, but at the 'acceleration' it shows up as 'not available' and at 'Approx. total memory' it shows: n/a even though the NVidia GeForce 4MX integrated GPU graphics card has 64 Mb of RAM.
Installing a new graphics card came up with the same problem. Any ideas?

ACOLYTE 14:50 29 Dec 2004

I dont know if this will help but you could look in the bios options and see if the card is set to AGP not PCI,that is if it is AGP,also you could try setting the AGP appareture size to 128.
Also in the graffix card options is there a Global driver setting?,there should be a list of games Halo should be one and when selected should set your card to the best settings for that game,theses should be in the advanced/performance and quality part.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?