direct3d diagnostic failure

renoog 18:35 16 Dec 2004

When running direct3d diagnostic test the following message appears;
you cancelled test by pressing a key.
But i have not pressed any key,hence icannot play certain games on my laptop.
Can anyone help! I am new to computing so the simplest of explanations/solutions would be appreciated.
Thanks renoog

Diodorus Siculus 20:01 16 Dec 2004

Maybe a reinstall of your version of DirectX will help.

Or it may be an incompatibility with your graphics chipset.

renoog 20:50 16 Dec 2004

i have tried a reinstall but to no avail. would i have to uninstall directx first,if so how?

Diodorus Siculus 07:55 17 Dec 2004

Not easy to uninstall DirectX so I am not sure what to suggest...

curlylad 10:06 17 Dec 2004

What operating system are you using? Removing/repairing DirectX depends on this info.

renoog 17:56 18 Dec 2004

i have found a temporary answer to the problem.through device manager when i update my drivers ie radeon 9000,diagnotic is fine plus can play games.however once ive switched off computer i have to go through same procedure,why help!!

Diodorus Siculus 18:49 18 Dec 2004

Try uninstalling the drivers, reboot and reinstall the drivers with the latest versions; see if that helps.

curlylad 14:57 20 Dec 2004

I think you need to update your DirectX.If you have Win95 the latest version you can use is version 8.0a , if you have NT then you cannot update your DirectX , if any other Windows version then get the latest DirectX from click here.

However if you would like to uninstall the version you have now first so you have a fresh download get DirectX uninstaller from click here or DirectX eradicator from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?