Direct X - Games Display Problem Cure?

billy_s 18:45 02 Dec 2003

Would reinstalling Windows XP (from my vendors restore disk) wipe Direct X files? The reason I am asking is that I seem to have a software conflict that is causing display problems (a grid of superimposed blue dots)when I play certain (not all games). I am convinced that it is to dowith the combination of video drivers and Direct X. Games that work include GP4, IL2 and Baldurs Gate 2 (with a bit of tweaking in the config menu). Ones that don't include The Sims and Monkey Island). I have tried various combinations of drivers and am currently using Direct x Ver.9.

I am certain that this is a software problem as I can turn the offending grid of dots off and on in one of my prgrammes (Power DVD) by enabling hardware acceleration (works fine) or disabling (the dots are back again!) from within the config. menu.

I have run the Direct X diagnostic tool and everything seems to be working fine.

Machine spec is AMD XP2400, NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 128mb Video Card, Asus A7V8X MB running Windows XP. The CPU temperatures are fine. I've also taken the card out and reseated it but no joy there either.

Any advice gratefully received.

JIM 19:08 02 Dec 2003

not a games man, but have you considered trying to you use the Compatibility Mode in Windows XP for some of your games?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017