direct to disc labelling

musopoet 22:50 03 Oct 2006

Anyone know if there is a way of printing coloured labels straight onto disc for a professional finish - and I don't mean using a 'stomper' - I did say 'professional'.

I notice that there 'Verbatim' do have printable CD-Rs available with a photo quality print surface - but how is one able to print directly onto the surface of the disc? Is a special Printer required?

I also know that some DVDS have 'LightScribe - direct disc labeling technology' (requires lightscribe compatible discs) - how does this work?

Dizzy Bob 22:53 03 Oct 2006

Lightscribe is a method of using a laser to etch onto the serface of a disc. The end result looks very professional BUT it is only mono - no colour, and it is very slow, approx 20 minutes for 1 disc.

Several printers will brint directly onto discs, generally Epson and Canon, however, as you have stated you must buy printable discs. Again the results are very good, in full colour, and much quicker than lightscribe.

If it were me, I would go for the printable disc option every time.

Hope this helps

DB

LastChip 23:00 03 Oct 2006

Epson among others, do make printers that print directly to CD/DVD. I have an R200 (I believe no longer available) which gives superb results, but there is a later version of the Epson (the R220) and other manufacturers also make versions for the purpose.

click here for an example of the R220, or

click here for the more upmarket R800.

Koochy 23:01 03 Oct 2006

Try this one i have been using this for about a year now and can't fault it, for the price i don't think you will beat it.

click here

Koochy

Koochy 23:03 03 Oct 2006

Forgot to say this printer has 4 seperate ink tanks that cost approx £10 each but it is cheaper in the long run than buying print cartridges.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017