direct cable connection

colcol 10:21 30 Aug 2003

is the facility to transfer data from one pc to another using the direct cable connection available on windows xp home? I have used this simple network with earlier versions of windows but cannot find it on my current xp home system.

Smiler 10:34 30 Aug 2003

Scroll down this page

click here
Go to this page

click here
and here

click here

Direct cable is slow I think you would be better off fitting a lan 10/100 card in each computer and connectin then with a crossover cable. Lot faster transfer of info.

colcol 14:21 30 Aug 2003

smiler - tks for help. 2 ques :

I have AOL broadband and will eventually want to network my 2 pcs so that both can access net at same time. I have quickly read thread on this board which seems to say this is possible but expect no help from AOL. will a 10/100 card in each pc be as good as any other system in this type of networking?

looking at dabs.com, 10/100 adapter cards seem to start at under £20 and then head upwards. How expensive do I need to go to get reasonable performance?

Bramblerose 14:44 30 Aug 2003

When we networked our PC's, I think we got a network card from PC World for about a tenner (I already had network cards for one PC).
You will need two network cards in your "server" pc and one in the other PC as well as a cross over cable.

colcol 14:47 30 Aug 2003

tks for help but why 2 cards in server pc if it is only networked to one pc?

Bertie B 16:03 30 Aug 2003

If you are just networking two PC's then you need just one 10/100 ethernet card in each PC and you must then use a crossover cable to connect the two.

Work through the following links and you should be OK. You will also be able to access the internet from both PC's at the same time, as long as the PC hosting the direct internet connection is switched on and connected.

ISP's like BT & AOL don't want you to know this as, for instance, BT would like to sell you one of their networking solutions costing a lot of bucks!

click here

click here

colcol 17:06 30 Aug 2003

bertie b - many tks for help. I will try this when my new pc arrives in about 10 days.

Smiler 18:00 30 Aug 2003

I bought a Belkin Starter Network Kit from Staples in April for £24-99. It contained :-

2- 10/100PCI cards with wake on lan

1- 25m Crossover cable

1- CD-Rom

1- User Guide

Lifetime Warranty & Free Tech Support.

Go Here click here

Dabs.com are selling it at £29-37 part number F5D9001 just type in a search on the dabs home page for the above part

colcol 19:04 30 Aug 2003

thanks smiler - I have ordered the belkin kit from dabs. the 25m of cable is a bit excessive since my 2 pcs are only 5 feet apart.

Smiler 15:35 31 Aug 2003

You're welcome. As far as the cable goes if you bought two cards, a length of cable as required they would cost more than you have paid and no instructions, cd or tech support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?