Dim laptop display

geordiepaul2001 20:49 08 Feb 2011

Hi all,

I have a Compaq Presario F500 with a very dim screen.
I initially tried to change the inverter - no joy
I then ordered a 2nd user (working) screen unit and tried a different screen and different screen cable - no joy.
The laptop works connected to my television.

Any ideas?

Paul

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:01 08 Feb 2011
  geordiepaul2001 22:57 08 Feb 2011

Thanks for that fruit bat.
I have tried the screen brightness with no joy.
I have also tried the lid actuator with no success.
The laptop did not have the hp heath check installed, I have since downloaded it and installed the graphic driver - no joy.
There were no BIOS updates listed.

Ashrich 00:03 09 Feb 2011

In some laptops I've worked on there is the provision to alter screen brightness settings in the bios , Dell quite often do this , for battery and mains , worth having a look ...

Ashley

Ashrich 00:19 09 Feb 2011

Is there an option for increasing/decreasing the screen brightness in the Nvidia GeForce go 6100 settings ? Also, if it's using Vista , have a look at control panel/power options , then click on Change plan settings , you can alter screen brightness fro mains and battery from there .

Ashley

geordiepaul2001 08:37 09 Feb 2011

I have tried to increase the brightness via the power settings and the FN keys.
Just so I am sure that I have checked the right switch, does anyone know where the lid switch is on a F500?

geordiepaul2001 13:02 09 Feb 2011

This laptop has a magnetic switch, the magnet being inside of the bezel near the hinges.
I have tried removing the bezel and disconnecting the power board which I believe the switch is part of - still no success.

robin_x 13:20 09 Feb 2011

When you say you tried a second screen, do you mean via the VGA output? And TV via HDMI?

Are you sure the CCFL backlight tube inside the screen itself (not inside the screen housing containg inverter, magnet switch etc) isn't the problem?

click here

robin_x 13:23 09 Feb 2011

I am busy this afternoon. will be on later this evening, if you have further queries.

woodchip 13:55 09 Feb 2011

May be like my HP510, my WiFi switch is left side of start switch in the top middle switch button to the left of the blue white WiFi and up a bit. sticking up about one eighth of an inch

geordiepaul2001 23:19 09 Feb 2011

Sorry I should have clarified.
I have tried a second (known working) lcd screen, as well as connecting to a tv via vga.
Also tried a new screen cable and 2 different inverters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?