Dilemma re buying new PC

colberly 15:11 01 Aug 2007

Since my PC is now over 7 years old and running ME, no problems may I add, but many programmes now need either XP or Vista so I think I should change. My main problem being that I have several programmes on here that I'm sure won't work with Vista or even XP, any suggestions would be gratefully received as to how I could keep some of the programmes I have if and when I do upgrade. I was thinking laptop, but maybe stick with a desktop. I don't use a PC for gaming either, just routine internet, e mails etc:

Technotiger 15:31 01 Aug 2007

Depending on what the programs are, they may work at least in XP, if you have their latest updates?

Technotiger 15:32 01 Aug 2007

Also meant to add - I would stick with Desktop.

colberly 18:06 01 Aug 2007

Thank you, just been looking at Novatech and they seem able to supply XP, so maybe new desktop from them.

Technotiger 20:22 01 Aug 2007

Novatech - a very good choice!

wee eddie 20:49 01 Aug 2007

There is an quantity of Legacy Equipment that, although working with ME and '98se, will not necessarily work with XP. Very much in the same way that there is XP equipment which will not yet work with Vista.

If I were going to upgrade in the near future I think that Vista, for all the potential faults that it's detractors point out, is the way to go.

Be prepared to buy some new Software, there's a fair amount of free stuff out there, and Equipment (I still have my old IBM Aptiva, running 98se, purely to run a fast SCSI Scanner) so you can do that in stages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?