Digitising LPs, film and tapes

AylesburyGal 09:36 22 Jun 2008

Are there any reviews on this website on hardware plus associated software for digitising vinyl, tape and film so that I can upload stuff on to my laptop and then store on up-to-date media. I'm at a loss as to what search term to put into the sites search engine

jack 10:11 22 Jun 2008

Software/Hardware.
I it probably better to identify a particular aspect and address that problem.
Take Audio for starters - Software is free from click here and NCH.com
You only then have to address the connection between the audio system and the computer.
This will depend on location of both[can they be brought together- and a suitable cable[ a 3mm jack both ends of cable to go from phones out of audio to line in on computer.
There that got you started.
Video is a different story and it is best to list what you have - so that we can see what needs to be done.

Jim_F 11:01 22 Jun 2008

Audio and video capture have different hardware/software requirements so try 'video capture' and 'vinyl capture'.

The reason these are dealt with seperately is that laptop capture solutions for video are generally USB and compress the signals 'on the fly' to keep the data throughput and files sizes down.

For audio it is better to capture uncompressed (.wav) as this preserves quality and gives you a file that can be cleaned up and edited.

I'd suggest looking at whats available from the retailers you use and then look for related reviews but bear in mind that video capture via USB is often a compromise with limited resolution.

Jim_F 11:03 22 Jun 2008

Apologies jack - hadn't seen your post when typing mine !

eedcam 11:23 22 Jun 2008

If the video is vhs tapes best bet is get advd recorder save alot of hassle . Also all your recordings audio or tape will be in Real time so its along job Well worth it if the material is important .Though if you can source the original audio on a well mastered Cd you wont equal it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?