Digital video editing

cheekybaldy2 20:59 20 Oct 2003

Dear all,
I recently bought a digital camcorder and edited the film using windows movie maker. After adding titles and transitions I put some music over it and it looks ok on the PC.
The problem came when I sent it back onto the camera (to transfer to VHS) and all I ended up with was the film flashing on and off with no sound. The camera is a Canon 530i. It came with a software package 'Presto videoworks' but this seemed basic so I havent tried it yet. Is there a reason windows moviemaker doesnt work with my camera and could anyone recomend an average editing software package. Sorry if I sound inexperienced but I AM.
Cheers from cheeky

MichelleC 21:03 20 Oct 2003

Does it have dv 'in' and is it enabled?

cheekybaldy2 21:10 20 Oct 2003

Yes it has dv in and is enabled

fitshase 21:21 20 Oct 2003

Have you rendered the film before sending it to the camera?

Normally, when you add transitions and music, etc., you will need to render the project in order for the computer to put everything together into one file for sending.

You could try taking some film from your camera, downloading it onto the computer, opening it in Moviemaker, make no changes and then save it. Then send it back to the camera. This will show you if there is a problem with the camera or moviemaker working together.

Regards

Fitshase

Chegs ® 21:26 20 Oct 2003

I have just done a similar thing(loaded a vid into pc via moviemaker)and when I came to edit the vid(saved as AVI)I get alsorts of probs(software says I need to get hold of codecs for my OWN film?)I have used MM successfully to edit other vids shot on the same camera(Canon)and I tried uploading this vid back onto camera but camera just shows a blue screen with the Canon logo,whereas previous vids uploaded back to camera worked fine.The ONLY change to my OS+apps was a couple of critical updates a couple of days ago.If I find a reason for this weird behaviour,I will post back(I'm off to restore from image created before d/l the updates,I have had troubles previously after updates)

MichelleC 09:45 21 Oct 2003

Have you rendered to 'avi' and are you trying to ptt (print to tape) AND passthrough dv cam to vcr. I can't passthrough with my Sony, and have to wait till it's on dv tape THEN copy to vcr.

scotty 10:14 21 Oct 2003

It sounds as if you are getting some frames dropped when writing to tape. This can be a performance issue with your pc (it is easier to copy from the camera to the pc than pc to camera).

There are many possible causes but one of the most common is thst the hard drive on your pc does not have DMA enabled.

If you have checked and can confirm that this is not the problem, please post back with details of your pc and in particular the specification and confiruration of your hard drive(s).

Chegs ® 10:23 21 Oct 2003

I reinstalled from an image and it's not the updates causing it,it must be something to do with the format MM used to create my vid file(AVI)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?