Digital Video to DVD Burning

lincolnb 08:42 15 Jul 2004

Why when copying digital video to my hard drive via firewire cable to video capture card do i lose some frames, this then makes the burnt DVD play back jerky. Sound quality is ok. What can i do to prevent this?

€dstowe 08:48 15 Jul 2004

Can you give some information on the capture card and software you are using, please?

stlucia 08:55 15 Jul 2004

Provided you've got a modern PC (600Mhz Athlon works for me), you shouldn't lose any frames in the transfer process. Playing your video on your PC might be jerky because of limitations in your hardware or software, but it shouldn't be so when playing a burned DVD on your domestic DVD player through your TV.

So, as €dstowe says, can we have a bit more info please?

lincolnb 09:58 15 Jul 2004

Thanks for the info so far. Picture play back on tv is not perfect it is a little jerky.
Will have to get back to you with Firewire capture card details. PEC i think manufacture
Using Nero6 software
P4 processor 2.8GHZ 800FSB
120gb harddrive 8MB CACHE
MEMORY 512MB
azus motherboard P4P800S SE 848P 8XAGP SATA
GRAPHICS CARD 3D NVIDA 128 DDR GF FX5200
all bought within last 2 months so it is uptodate

stlucia 12:04 15 Jul 2004

I use Pinnacle to download the video from my camera, and have no experience of Nero so will have to leave it to others. Pinnacle, by the way, reports if any frames were dropped for any reason.

€dstowe 14:27 15 Jul 2004

As stlucia says, you ought to have some dedicated video processing software. Although you can do it with Nero, using software designed specifically for what you want to do makes it so much easier.

We are making DVDs on a small scale professional basis and are using Pinnacle Studio 9 which we are quite happy with. Our intention was originally to use this program as a tryout for assessing the general quality of Pinnacle's professional equipment but, as we are satisfied with the one we have, we've not bothered as yet.

Pinnacle can be found at click here

€d

jonnytub 14:32 15 Jul 2004

sonic mydvd works fine for me and seems to be very popular with forum members as is edstowes pinnacle studio 9

€dstowe 14:33 15 Jul 2004

Note: If you want to continue doing video work, you would be best with a second dedicated hard drive to store and process all your files on.

Another point is that video processing uses loads of hard disk space. Allow at least 40GB per hour of video. You recover all this when you've finished but it's important to have it available.

Yet another point is that all this makes a mess of the placement of files on your hard drive. Do a defrag often - after deleting files for the video just made.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?