Digital Projectors for home use

Dragonfly2 12:29 11 Oct 2010

We're wondering about buying a digital projector for home use, and are struggling to find out any information about them.

The few websites I've found assume you've got a lot of knowledge about the subject: I'm just after a guide for beginners.

This is for home use, to show photos on a large screen. We're looking for one that isn't too expensive.

Does anyone know where we can find out more, and where we can go to see them? The usual High Street retailers don't seem to stock them.

Any information would be much appreciated, please.

Woolwell 13:41 11 Oct 2010

Try Misco click here. Their helpline and service is normally good.

Ian in Northampton 13:54 11 Oct 2010

Dragonfly2: what kind of information do you think you need? I've spent a lot of time in the projector market and may be able to help...

Woolwell 14:54 11 Oct 2010

I think that the advice on this site is sound click here but Ian in Northampton will be able to confirm. The projectors I use and have had installed are not for home use.

amonra 16:43 11 Oct 2010

Have you considered the alternative ? Buy a very large flat screen TV..
Considerably cheaper, viewable in daylight, probably last a lot longer (ask Ian in Northampton). and can be used as a normal TV when not being used for projection. Just a thought......

BT 16:57 11 Oct 2010

Doesn't have to be al that large but it does work very well. Mine has a USB socket on the side and a USB stick with pictures on runs as a slideshow very nicely.

Ian in Northampton 12:34 12 Oct 2010

Woolwell: yeah, that's good stuff and worth Dragonfly2 taking a look at. Amonra: hmmm... With a half way decent projector for less than £500, you could put a 100" image on a screen. I'm not sure a 100" flat screen TV would cost less than £500... :-) As for lasting longer: yes, that's probably true if you're talking about lamp replacement. On the other hand, a typical lamp life of 3,000 hours isn't too shabby, and for £200 you've got, to all intents and purposes, a brand new projector. But you're right, you'd have to be some sort of masochist to use a projector for every day viewing. On the other hand, watching movies 9and sport) on a projector is a whole better experience than watching them on a TV. Size matters...

Chris the Ancient 09:25 13 Oct 2010

One down side of a lot of 'cheaper' projectors is that they have a lower resolution - which, when the image is blown up to large size, could be quite noticeable.

Ian in Northampton 09:52 13 Oct 2010

Chris: in theory, you're right - much depends on how discerning your eyesight is. I still use a couple of XGA resolution projectors and, while maximum image size (it's a small room) is only about a 60" diagonal, it's very watchable.

jack 10:41 13 Oct 2010

I did spot this in a local Maplins store
For £149.99
At that price i guess folk would pass it by
but it is LED powered so no lamp replacement worries here.
Go take a look
click here

Ian in Northampton 18:20 15 Oct 2010

I'm surprised how well it's been reviewed, given that it outputs only 10 lumens. That's about the brightness of a used match. You wouldn't just need to use it in a dark room - it would need to be a dark room at midnight in winter somewhere in the wilds of Scotland for you to see any kind of image. For those not up on these things: a typical home theatre projector will output ~1,000 lumens, a conference room projector 2-3,000 lumens - and the brightest projector you can get for concerts. large auditoria and so on runs around 35,000 lumens. Personally, I'd spend more and get more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?