Digital Monitor Connections

ventanas 12:02 29 Mar 2007

Monitor has DVI-D and PC has DVI-I

click here for examples

Does anyone know if there is any adapter, or any way of connecting these, and avoid the old style vga connection.

Tribal-Wolf 12:15 29 Mar 2007

From what I can see a cable that supports DVI-D will fit both connectors.
This is an extract from something I read.....

Determining which type of DVI cable to use for your products is critical in getting the right cable the first time. Check both of the female DVI plugs to determine what signals they are compatible with.

If one or both connections are DVI-D, you need a DVI-D cable.
If one or both connections are DVI-A, you need a DVI-A cable.
If one connection is DVI and the other is VGA, and the DVI is analog-compatible, you need a DVI to VGA cable or a DVI/VGA adaptor.
If both connections are DVI-I, you may use any DVI cable, but a DVI-I cable is recommended.
If one connection is analog and the other connection is digital, there is no way to connect them with a single cable. You'll have to use an electronic convertor box, available in either analog VGA to digital DVI or digital DVI to analog VGA.

Technotiger 12:20 29 Mar 2007

Hi, fill ya boots with this lot ...

click here

ventanas 12:21 29 Mar 2007

Thanks, I have a DVI-D cable, but I couldn't get it into the PC connection. May have been just the way I was trying it. I'll have another go.

woodchip 12:22 29 Mar 2007

I am at this moment using a 32" TV as a Monitor Connected from DVI on Graphics card to HDMI on TV

keef66 12:55 29 Mar 2007

I think that's what I have at home; DVI-I and a vga connector on the graphics card, and a DVI-D and a vga connector on the tft monitor. I'm assuming I have the two digitals connected by a DVI-D to DVI-D cable. (I know the output from the card is DVI-I because I have used it successfully with an adapter and vga cable)

I find them trickier to attach than the old vga ones; make sure you've got it the right way round, and jiggle it about a bit.

If you could find such a thing, a DVI-I cable would have the extra pins for the analogue signal, and so wouldn't fit into the DVI-D socket on the monitor which lacks the extra holes. I cannot imagine why anyone would want a DVI-I cable. (??)

ventanas 13:40 29 Mar 2007

Thanks all, I'll try it again tonight. May just have been the way I was trying it, as said earlier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?