Digital camera - webcam?

The Belarussian Mafia 11:25 06 Jan 2004

Is there a digital camera that can be used as a webcam?

stlucia 13:55 06 Jan 2004

In a nutshell, yes! click here for an example. Given that most, if not all, digital cameras will have an output for showing pictures on your TV, they can probably all be used as webcams if you have the appropriate graphics card. I'm sure other contributors will advise you on this.

stlucia 14:42 06 Jan 2004

I've just connected my Canon S30 to my PC using the USB cable I normally use for downloading photos, and find that I can have a continuous display on the PC screen of whatever the camera is pointing at, using Canon's "Remote Capture" software which came with the camera. The software also allows me to control the camera (zoom in and out, and take pictures) from the PC. I'm not sure if that makes it a full-blown webcam.

According to the handbook, not all Canon models can be used this way, so check out the spec. of whatever make you want to buy and you'll probably find a model that can be used as a webcam.

QQAA 15:37 06 Jan 2004

and see if you could challenge the reviewer of this camera model click here in his bold offer of marching naked along the......

Do make it a point to inform us of the result, if possible.

QQAA 16:08 06 Jan 2004

for your consideration click here.

Stuartli 16:12 06 Jan 2004

Quite a few digital cameras offer webcam facilities as well - some of the Fuji range amongst them.

QQAA 16:26 06 Jan 2004

posted online by one of the users. click here.

The Belarussian Mafia 10:35 07 Jan 2004

Thanks for all this info. I'm going to have a look at the Fuji range as I'd like a decent camera with a webcam facility as opposed to something on the novelty gadget end of the scale.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?