Digital Camera Storage Cards

Air_Man 07:08 19 Mar 2004

Can anyone explain to me (or point me to a web resource that does) the difference between all the various storage formats for digital cameras. You've got Compact Flash, Smart Media, xD Picture Cards (Fuji only?) and more.

I am now seriously looking for a mid-range digital camera and dont want to mess up the key point (apart from ensuring a rechargeable battery!). Oh, while I'm on, can anyone recommend sites for purchase/fact finding (something a bit like PCA which I can really trust).

pj123 09:41 19 Mar 2004

There is no difference, they all store pictures admirably. It's just what the camera manufacturer decides to use for their products.

The site I use to get price comparisons and detailed information on products is click here

Stuartli 10:08 19 Mar 2004

More and more camera manufacturers are moving over to Secure Digital (SD) cards, which are about the size of a postage stamp (some cameras are also compatible with the MultiMedia Cards (MMC), but these are not encrypted.

Their small size means that digital cameras can be made much smaller if necessary. See:

click here

A 64MB SD card is around £15-£20 and an MMC one a little cheaper - larger sizes are available.

You can, of course, like other memory cards, also use them to store or transfer data using a 6 or 7 in 1 card reader/writer costing around £10.

Very handy and both will slip in a pocket; however, always format a memory card in the camera for use with it. Formatting regularly will clear up minor files on the card.

JayDay 10:12 19 Mar 2004

Don't get hung up on what card the camera uses. Choice the camera for its features/price etc. The card makes no real difference.

woodchip 10:20 19 Mar 2004

Smart Media, is what my camera uses but you have to be carful as contacts are exposed so it's a lite and thin chip but needs care using it, Compact Flash is more robust

Bagsey 11:48 19 Mar 2004

For best prices on most of these things try
click here as they are in Gurnsey there is not Vat.

hssutton 11:59 19 Mar 2004

Have a look here, click here and at the same time check out the camera reviews.

As a lot of the better cameras now use li-ion batteries, battery problems are much less of an issue. My particular camera will take as many as 600 images.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone