digital camera resolutions

geedad 13:25 30 Jun 2006

I have been using a Kodak Mc3 digital camera for a few years now, ans it has given me respectable service. The movie mode is 320x240 pixels, and although the output of sound ith vision has been fair, I was looking to go up the ladder to a more expensive digital camera hoping for a smoother resolution. I did see a demo of a 640x480 @ 30fps, but wasn't impressed with either the sound replay nor the video which seemed less smooth than my old camera!
What is the best to look for ?
Is it VGA (640x480 @ 11fps) or QVGA (320x240 @ 20fps) or should I be looking at QVGA (640X480 @ 39fps.
Anyone with hands on experience I would appreciate your knowledge and advice.
I tested one camera at the last option thinking I would see some good results, but the flickering on the output was such that it was impossible to watch!
geedad

fitshase 16:07 30 Jun 2006

If you are after a camera to capure video - I would go for a dedicated video camera for the best resolution and playback.

Regards

Fitshase

geedad 19:31 02 Jul 2006

fitshase
Thanks for your advice.
geedad

TicTacToc 19:32 02 Jul 2006

Or go for something like the Canon Powershot s2/s3

That has excellent photo capabilities and movie capabilities up there with consumer dv camcorders.

Bagsey 20:43 02 Jul 2006

Instead of looking for a still camera that will take video try thinking the other way round. At the best still camers generally give limited video capture capability. However a Digital Video camera is available that has a memory card as an extra facility that is used to to store still images. My canon is such a camera which works very well, but there are others to look at.
My camera also has the ability to act as a pass through for loading analogue video onto the computer for editing without the need for a capture card. I think that this is probably a better way round to look at cameras.

bluto1 22:38 02 Jul 2006

I`ve got the other Kodak Mc3 they sold. I was delighted with the pics but never used the movie application. Thanks for the warning about sound etc.

woodchip 22:47 02 Jul 2006

I have a Fuji S7000 It does both at 30 Frames. Just like watching telly. but do not get a lot on a 512XD card only about 13 minutes at 320x240 or half that for 640x480 It will take a 1gb microdrive that doubles the above. click here

PS it is 10 Optic zoom not 6 as in the link

woodchip 22:48 02 Jul 2006

I use a JVC for Video on mini tapes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?