Digital camera question.

hiwatt 13:55 29 Oct 2008

Hi folks,not strictly computer related but can anyone please recommend a good quality digital camera at a reasonable price?It's for a gift and I know nothing about cameras.Thankyou.

ened 14:22 29 Oct 2008

Do you want to give a 'Compact' or DSLR?

The former is more of a point and shoot but these days will take extremely good pics.

The DSLR is for the slightly more serious photographer and has interchangeable lenses.

crosstrainer 14:44 29 Oct 2008

You could also opt for a "Bridge" better than a compact, but not quite as comples as a DSLR.

I use:

click here

One of the above for more detailed shots, and:

click here

One of the above for compact and widescreen shots.

Both easy to get the hang of, and take great pics...Remember to buy the largest memory card you can afford to go with them.

anchor 15:54 29 Oct 2008

It would help if you could give us an idea of your budget.

You say "good quality at reasonable price", which to my mind rules out a Digital single lens reflex, (DSLR), which are quite expensive.

However, good quality is possible with a reasonably priced compact camera.

crosstrainer 15:57 29 Oct 2008

The Fuji in my link above is a good compomise...Find it has plenty of features to keep me occupied.

ventanas 16:06 29 Oct 2008

Yep, the bridge cameras are just the job. I've got Nikon DSLR's, but I also have a Fuji S9600. Perfect when you don't want to lug a lot of heavy gear around.

hiwatt 18:19 29 Oct 2008

Hi folks.Thanks for your suggestions.I don't really have a set budget but I'm thinking about £50-80?It doesn't really need to have a lot of functions,just to be able to take good quality photo's and be able to view them on the camera screen and update them to the computer.As I said,I know nothing about digital cameras.Thanks.

Stuartli 18:26 29 Oct 2008

Try one of the Canon Powershot models that have a "proper" viewfinder rather than the user having to peer at a tiny screen.

The range basically uses the same body whilst adding extra features and more megapixels the more you pay. The A560 is available at Argos for a remarkable price of £60:

click here

and uses the well regarded, yet still low cost Secure Digital cards.

Weskit 18:51 29 Oct 2008

Probably outside your price range but I find my Canon Ixus 80IS is a smart little camera which does all I want. Viewfinder, SD card, 8 Mp, video at 640 x 480, very handy size...

hssutton 19:00 29 Oct 2008

I've just received an email from PhaseOne saying "now you can also afford the best" Only 13,999 euros.
Any of you happy snappers fancy one :)

woodchip 19:04 29 Oct 2008

As above try to get one as above with proper viewfinder, as just using Screen may not be so good in bright sunlight. Have a look in Argos. The Lens is more impotent than mega pixels 4meg pixel should be enough

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?