Digital camera photo print size?

emmandelo1 17:26 04 Oct 2007

Hi, I have a Canon Ixus 700. The vast majority of shots that I actually print are on 4x6 paper. However, I always lose a portion of the shot top and bottom when printing. I know I should take this into account when framing the shot but this is not always that easy when taking a quick 'snap'. Does anyone know of a camera that will take the photo's in 6x4 format so that when printing I am not losing any of the original size?

100andthirty 17:49 04 Oct 2007

check the manual. There might be a setting that will be closer to the 1.5:1 ratio of the 6x4 paper.

Look for settings with a resolution where dividing the smaller number into the bigger one gets closed to 1.5. I looked at the Canon site and some Ixus cameras have a setting with a 1.7:1 aspect ratio

emmandelo1 17:55 04 Oct 2007

Okay, thanks for that, will do. All I've got to do now is remember where I've put the mannual.

Technotiger 17:57 04 Oct 2007

What exactly do you mean when you say you lose a portion of the shot? Do you actually lose a part of your picture i.e. do you lose say, the feet or part of the head of a subject? I do lots of printing also on 4x6 paper, it is quite normal for the picture not to fill all that 'space', nothing to do with the format! You could of course use photo software to adjust the picture to fit the paper. I am puzzled as to why you think you are losing any of the original size of your pictures.

emmandelo1 18:09 04 Oct 2007

Hi Technotiger, what I mean is that compared to how the shot looks on screen, either camera or computer, when I print onto 4x6 I lose maybe a quarter of an inch from the top and the same from the bottom (landscape aspect). I have tried using photo software and I end up with the whole frame being printed but with a big border on the left and right of the paper, (landscape aspect again)

Technotiger 18:20 04 Oct 2007

I understand what you are saying, but I have always regarded this as being normal. Some pictures fill the 4x6 some don't, but nothing is lost from those that don't - if that makes sense! In these cases I simply trim off the 'excess; paper with a guillotine.

Stuartli 18:23 04 Oct 2007

A digital photo file is a slightly different ratio to that of 35mm film, which is basically what the original photo paper sizes are designed to accommodate.

emmandelo1 18:24 04 Oct 2007

Yes, I agree it is normal but as I am looking at upgrading my camera I just thought there might be one out there somewhere that overcomes this. Most times it is fairly easily overcome by cropping. I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age and looking for an easy solution!

Technotiger 18:40 04 Oct 2007

Maybe the Fuji ....

click here

emmandelo1 18:48 04 Oct 2007

Following the advice of 100andthirty I have changed the settings on the camera. I shall experiment with this before making a decision about another camera. Thanks to you all.

emmandelo1 18:51 04 Oct 2007

Technotiger, the Fuji seems to have good reviews but as I do sometimes print A4 size I really need something a bit more than that. Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?