Digital camera memory card format

naggis 11:12 30 May 2006

I have a nikon coolpix 3100 which records picture on compact flash memory cards. The format it uses is .jpg - as indicated by reading the format on my pc. But if I transfer a .jpg picture (saved from Photoshop) to the memory card, the camera will not find it.
Can anyone explain this or better still tell me how to overcome the problem.
Thanks

martjc 11:42 30 May 2006

...even though the extension is .jpg, with Fuji the format is proprietory. Other .jpg pics cannot be seen. Fuji even have their own formatting sofware and won't accept a card formatted by Windows.

It seems your Nikon has something similar. I haven't worked out the differences, but it is something very subtle. I just live with it.

kevinjuan 12:23 30 May 2006

Are you sure the images placed on the card are not within a folder.

I did this with my pentax, transfered images from pc to my SD card but the camera could not see them. I had inadvertantly placed them on the card by dragging and dropping the folder they were in - result, not available to the camera!

anchor 13:17 30 May 2006

I suspect kevinjuan may be right.

On my Canon S50 the original pictures are always in folders. If I were to save them directly to the memory card, they would be placed in the same folder.

hssutton 14:38 30 May 2006

This is quite normal, once an image as been modified on the PC the metadata as been altered resulting in information the camera require to read the image no longer being present.

naggis 15:10 30 May 2006

Thanks for the comments guys. The pics were put on as individuals and not in folders. So it looks as if I am just going to have to put up with the situation. How frustrating!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?