Digital Camera: Canon IXUS 70 or Canon IXUS 75

chocolateaddict 19:27 09 Dec 2007

I am planning on buying a digital camera and have managed to narrow it down to the Canon IXUS 70 and Canon IXUS 75.
They can be found for similar prices, but I am unsure how they are different and which is better to get and why?
Any help appreciated
Thanks

csqwared 20:53 09 Dec 2007

Have a look here-
click here

to be honest I don't think there is a great deal to choose between any of the Ixus range. I have a 950IS and apart from a few controls in different places much the same as the rest and a damn good camera.

cc

100andthirty 20:59 09 Dec 2007

70 has viewfinder, 75 doesn't; 75's screen is bigger than 70's.

amonra 22:31 09 Dec 2007

I think a viewfinder is essential after seeing one of my friends struggling with a sony camera in bright sunlight. It was useless ! She has tried a hood, polarising screen, standing in the shade, but has finally consigned the Sony to the cupboard and bought another camera with an optical viewfinder.
PS I am considering a canon ixus 70 as a xmas prezzie to me !!!

anchor 10:01 10 Dec 2007

I agree 100%; go for the Ixus 70 with the optical viewfinder.

review here:

click here

chocolateaddict 09:25 11 Dec 2007

thanks for the help, i think i will probably go for the IXUS 70 now (partly due to the viewfinder), but will wait for it to go down in price, as it is slightly more than I hoped to spend.Despite reading some comments that the picture quality is bad,the majority of reviews are excellent.
(I am also buying it as a Xmas present for myself!) :)

Noels 09:33 11 Dec 2007

Just about best review site for all makes.
click here
Regards
Noels

anchor 12:47 11 Dec 2007

I am surprised that some reviewers have adversely commented on picture quality. Canon cameras are well known for very good results.

This was the reviewers observations on the link I gave previously:

"Two areas where the IXUS 70 outperforms most other pocket sized digital camera is when it comes to sharpness and colours. Starting with my three outdoor tests I can see that when it comes to focusing the IXUS 70 does a good job. Many cameras are able to focus well in the centre, but then the sharpness of the photo reduces as you move towards the edges. The IXUS 70 manages to retain most of the sharpness up to the edge".

anchor 09:33 15 Dec 2007

I have been reading the latest copy of "Which" magazine. The Canon Ixus 70 received their best buy award.

£120 from Amazon, incl: delivery. You are unlikely to find it much cheaper, until Canon remove it from their current list; (whenever that may be).

chocolateaddict 10:53 15 Dec 2007

yeah amazon is one of the cheapest places to buy it from. Also "best priced brands" is selling it for £113, but from reading reviews it seems to be a dodgy site. Dixons was selling it for £119.99 but it has now gone up to around £130! And now the Ixus 75 is £119 instead!

click here

click here

anchor 11:15 15 Dec 2007

I would wholeheartedly recommend Amazon. I have had numerous dealings with them, and find their service excellent.

I have had no problems in obtaining immediate refunds or exchanges when there have been problems. You can even discuss matters on the phone with a real person via their free call back service.

Full marks to Amazon!!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?