Digital Camera

Hetti 19:22 11 Jul 2004

I made the mistake of buying a small dig/cam that takes none rechargeable batteries, can anyone tell me if I could use rechargable one's?

I thought I would ask here before I go out and buy a charge unit and rechargable batteries

Night Ryder 19:25 11 Jul 2004

What size is the battery? What numbers are printed on the battery?

Totally-braindead 19:30 11 Jul 2004

I've only ever heard of one camera that wouldn't. It had a design fault an HP 215 I think, post the make and model of your camera its almost certain it'll work ok. PS my mates got the camera that wouldn't use rechargeables and hes used rechargables in it for over 2 years now with no problems, we only found out about the fault when I was looking to get a camera for his brother. There was no mention of this problem with any of the literature we got with the camera.

georgemac 19:33 11 Jul 2004

if it can take rechargeables, maje sure you get high capacity at least 2300 mah nicke metal hydride batteries and a good charger. Post the size of the batteries and links will follow

one23 19:48 11 Jul 2004

What make and model is the camera? I would be surprised if it could not run on rechargeable batteries.

If it can, have a look at click here for really good prices on chargers and batteries. Delivery is usually 5/8 working days.

Hetti 13:41 13 Jul 2004

Thanks all

Camera is Medion MD6466 bat 1.5AAA

Sorry Im slow repyling been having email probs

toxin 15:15 13 Jul 2004

Hi Hetti!

As you use AAA batteries, you can use rechargeable AAAs, make sure you get NiMH and the highest capacity you can find.

Try click here they currently have a pack of four AAAs 900mAh for £9.95 incl VAT & delivery.

Hope this helps, Toxin.

Totally-braindead 15:21 13 Jul 2004

click here do lots of rechargeables, batteries as well as chargers but as toxin has said get high capacity ones as they'll last longer.

stlucia 15:25 13 Jul 2004

Generally speaking, you can substitute rechargeable cells in place of disposable ones. But they do give a lower voltage (1.2 vs 1.5 per cell, I think), which may be why some devices can't use them.

So, it would still be prudent to double-check that your camera can run with them before buying any -- I can't find its details on the web, so maybe a camera shop will have some ready-charged that you can try out.

smokingbeagle 15:39 13 Jul 2004

The rechargeable batteries could explode if they are in parallel in your camera. Do they go in the same way in, in your camera?

cga 15:40 13 Jul 2004

There has been a long discussion on this on one of the Digital Camera forums I read. In summary:-
1. All batteries reduce the discharge voltage as the charge is used up.
2. Although NiMH batteries start at a slightly lower voltage initially the voltage is sustained better until much closer to the point the charge is used up.
3. The xxxMAH rating is up to the point where the voltage degrade blow a certin point (your camera may or may not have the same point)
4. In alkaline batteries the voltage degrades almost in proportion to the use of the charge.

The upshot of this is that, if your camera will not take good rechargeables then you wont get much out of alkaline batteries either. If you want to check this out take some alkaline batteries that your camera thinks are dead and try them in something else.

All other advice I agree with above

Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?