Digital Camcorder Help

Sibbo 16:56 20 Apr 2006

I'm toying with the idea of buying a digital camcorder but I'm not sure about what I really need. I don't aim to be the next "Spielberg", I just want to make movies of the kids etc. on days out and at home. A fairly good quality one is obviously a requirement, but not one that has that many buttons that I don't know what to do with them! By the same token, I also want one that handles contrasting light conditions well and if possible automatically. Whats's best, DV, DVD? I'll pay up to approx £500. Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Stuartli 17:22 20 Apr 2006

Morgan Computers is offering Samsung MiniDV models at £153 or even less. See:

click here

Sibbo 09:07 21 Apr 2006

Are the technical spec's any good when compared to others? As I said, I know nothing about them.

Totally-braindead 09:16 21 Apr 2006

You might get some advice here, there might be some digital camcorder experts in here, who knows. But if you get stuck then I suggest checking out either a dedicated Forum or a reviews magazine. I might be wrong here but I thing Which do a magazine for camcorders. If they do then its probably excellent and worth a read. Don't fancy buying a magazine then check your local library, they may stock it. Just some suggestions, as I say you may get some answers here.

I must admit I was shocked at the prices in Stuartlis link. I had no idea that you could get digital camcorders so cheap. Its definately worth a look if you want one. I had thought they started at £250-300 for a budget one. Morgan do get some good deals though.

Totally-braindead 09:18 21 Apr 2006

For "thing" substitute "think". Sorry. I'm getting worse.

GroupFC 09:26 21 Apr 2006

I suggest that your first port of call would be the local newsagents to have a look at a few magazines that carry all sorts of reviews etc. especially as you say you are not sure what you really need!

At your price point Pricerunner found 263 products (click here) so it is going to be difficult for anybody to give you a run down on each of these!

A site that carries some reviews is click here (although I suspect that some of those may be for older models that may no longer be available).

Alternatively have a trawl through some of these
click here and you may get a bit more of an idea of what's what!

HTH and good luck!

Sibbo 09:33 21 Apr 2006

I've done that Group FC, and the shear number that turns up is staggering. I just thought that people on this board may have suggestions based on what they have bought or seen. Just looked at the JVC Evario hard drive type and they look good.

Bagsey 09:39 21 Apr 2006

I suggest that you do the rounds of your local camera shops,not to buy , but to handle the cameras to get the feel of what is on offer. What suits the hands of one person does not always suit another. when you have made your choice then look on the internet for the best prices. You can get a very good camera for around the £250 mark or less.But the more you get in a camera the more it will cost. E.g a memory card to allow you to take stills is useful addition.

anchor 09:40 21 Apr 2006

Have a look at this PCA review.

click here

this model is currently about £364

click here

Personally I prefer miniDV tape.

Sibbo 09:45 21 Apr 2006

I do like the look of the JVC's. I saw the GZ-MG50EK for £489.

Sibbo 09:46 21 Apr 2006

Are DV cameras better than other types?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?